After some work with a 6mmx1 tap, the front fender is mounted. The screws in the front end are black oxide coated so they blend in with the black paint on the sliders. Next is the front wheel itself.
Black Magic Customs painted the sliders and tubes, the paint work is superb. I had replacement seals and slider bushings as well as new 10w fork fluid. We taped up the sliders and tubes with blue tape, and started. The left fork went together fairly easily, but to tighten the special castle nut we fastened the slider to a wooden post. Adding the fluid and final assembly was easy. The right fork was another story. It took Mark, Regina, and I to get the fork compressed enough to slip the washer on the damper rod. But, once that was done the final assembly was easy. Later, Regina helped to insert the forks in the triple trees and then they were tightened to specs.
Dad purchased and drilled 6 bolts for mounting the Headwinds turn signals. He said drilling them wasn’t too bad but that the stainless steel was the most difficult to drill.
The mounting bolts arrived (and were they ever packed well). I had to shorten the two for the rear turn signals to 2.1″ overall length and they worked fine. I need to get some stainless washers for the final assembly as I used some I had lying around to check the fit. I will use blue Locktite during final assembly.
There is a Memorial Day sale at HDL, so I ordered Barnett throttle cables and an HJC CL-MAX flip-up black helmet. I might order a windshield and mounting hardware for the Shadow 1100 later in the week – I have until Monday.
Dad is going to get 4 3/8Ã—16×2″ hex head cap screws and drill them out with an 11/64th drill so that the turn signals can be properly mounted. I think I will insert a fiber washer between the turn signal and the adapter that will have the exposed edge painted red. Should be a nice touch.
Picked up the chrome from Black Magic Customs this morning, it looks great. Got home and started reassembling the rear turn signals. Drilled out the center mounting hole to 3/8, put rust preventative on the bare metal. The hollow bolts are too short by about 1/4 inch when I add the ground lug and the washer. I looked on the Headwinds website and I think they may have longer bolts (3/8 x 16 x 2) but I will have to call on Monday, no one answered the phone (it is Saturday, after all). They do look good.
I left the headlight shell and the air cleaner cover at Black Magic Customs. The headlight shell is to be painted black and the ball-milled grooves are to be filled with red paint.