When I bought the 7800 group, it came with an 11-28 10 speed cassette. I have no real use for an 11t cog, and a larger cog would be useful on the hills around here. So I picked up an Ultegra 12-30 cassette. Normally, the Dura Ace RD won’t handle a 30t cog, so I installed a Roadlink to give me the clearance I need.
Ran the cables and housing for the brakes. I chose yellow housing (Jagwire Pro) for both brakes and shifting, as it is compressionless, lined housing for good braking and reliable indexed shifting performance. I may need to replace the brake pads, don’t know that just yet. They look fine, but we’ll see how they perform on the test ride.
I removed the old downtube cable stops and installed the new ones. I’m looking through my bike parts to find the BB cable guide I need for the shift cables. Found it, and installed it. Ran the shift cable for the front derailleur. No issues with it so far, limit screws are set, but will have to wait for the rear derailleur to be sure that it’s good on both chainrings and at either end of the cassette. Ran the rear derailleur shift cable, and it’s shifting up and down the cassette without any real issues. The FD adjustment seems good, but I needed a little more tension on the RD cable to dial in the shifts perfectly.
Taped the brake housing to the bars, and checked everything over.
Received the 50t chainring, so loosened the chainring bolts and swapped the 53t chainring for the 50t, being careful that the chain drop pin is oriented with the crankarm. After installing the smaller chainring, removed one set of links. I also lowered the FD just a touch. Might be able to remove another set, but will hold off on that for now.
It’s ready for the maiden voyage, and I’m planning on a 30+ mile ride on Saturday morning with some folks that leaves from the Hoptown Y at 7am.