Well, the hitch and chains are in place and secured. The wiring is OK, held in place by some electrical tape while I figure out the best way to route the wires and locate the plugs. I decided that a trip to the grocery store was as good a reason as any to take the plunge. So, after checking the running lights, turn signals, and brake lights, off I went.
Interestingly, it was unremarkable which I suppose is the best possible outcome. I had placed the spare tire up in front to give the trailer some tongue weight, having read some horror stories about improperly loaded trailers causing accidents. The trailer tracked perfectly, and I made some sharp turns through town to see how it would handle them and to see how much additional space I needed to keep the trailer wheels off the curbs. Not a lot, but being aware that the trailer is there undoubtedly caused me to allow a little more space during turns, just to be sure.
I was easily able to get all the groceries in the trailer, and probably used a third of the available space. The chains were rubbing on the pavement, so when I got home I removed a link from each one. They might still be a little long, so I will check clearances during sharp turns and might remove another link from each side. I don’t want to go too far and have to buy new lengths of chain.
I still need to route the wires and tie them in place to locate the plugs in a good location. Once this is done, the trailer is ready for a trip.
What a surprise, there’s a trip beginning next Monday.