The build continues

Now that the fork/headset/frame are assembled, I decided to install the BB cups and crank next. The BB cups went in fine, and the cranks were very simple too. The ultra-torque cranks are very easy to install, needing only a 10mm hex key and a torque wrench to install. And when I was done, they spun around just like cranks are intended to do.

Next came the brakes. The Campy brakes are dual-pivot, skeletonized (extra metal milled away) and fit properly the first time. With the internal nut, the mount is clean as well. Derailleurs followed. Now the most annoying part of the installation – the brake/shifter (brifter) levers. It was difficult to move the hood out of the way of the mounting bolt, but I got them on, lined up, and tightened down. The handlebar has marks across the bar to make it easy to get the levers mounted at the some point and that was a nice touch. Now I need cables and housings, and of course, wheels.

I opted to install the Michelin Race 3 tires next, and that was anti-climatic. I didn’t need levers to get them on, and a little powder on the tubes makes it even easier. The Boyd Vitesse wheels are really nice and they are 23mm wide and 28mm deep. I now have a rolling bike. It’s so much better than having to drag it around.

Stay tuned for the cable and housing part. It wasn’t so much fun to do as it would have been to watch.

Leave a Reply